Influential People of Elmhurst College

Elmhurst College has had twelve presidents. The first was Carl Frederick Kranz. His native lands were Germany. He served as president from the years 1871 to 1875. He was both a skilled teacher and minister. He arrived in the United States on December 6, 1871 with 14 students. Kranz taught all the courses (all were taught in German), paid the bills, kept the records, and made sure everyone went to bed due to the few resources they had at the beginning of the school. He was known as "Inspector Kranz" to the students.

The second president was Philip Frederick Meusch. He served as president from the years 1875 to 1880. He was also a minister to arrive from Germany, but he came to the United States before Kranz in 1850. He added to the faculty, student body, and the curriculum. The students had a great respect for him. He sadly died in his office in 1880 and is buried next to the College campus.

The third president was Johann Peter Goebel (1880 to 1887). Goebel's accomplishments were expanding the faculty, creating more student activities, and recommended to make the curriculum more modern (more classes would be taught in English).

The fourth president was Daniel Irion (1887 to 1919). Irion was the first American-born leader, but he acted like a German. He was always talking with the students. He fought against the ideas of modernizing the curriculum because he wanted to stay with original version. Even thought he retired as the director in 1919, he stayed as a teacher until 1933, two years before his death.

The fifth president was Herman J. Schick (1919 to 1924). He renamed the school Elmhurst Academy and Junior College. He also increased the faculty and the student enrollment. This caused the new dormitory to be built, "Schick Hall", and "The Memorial Library" was opened in 1921. The first homecoming was held during his time in office due to his push for the students to embrace new traditions.

Herb Licht was the co-founder of Elmhurst College's arboretum. Licht was a landscape artist and once he saw the campus of the college he saw its potential in the 1960s. Stanger approved the idea. Now the arboretum has 600 different types of trees and bushes. The college’s arboretum is nationally recognized. He was given the award known as the Elmhurst College Founders Medal in 1985 for his work. He sadly died recently during the weekend of March 3-4, 2007 at the old age of 96.


Kevin Olson is a music professor, who is mainly in the theory, piano (jazz and classical), and the admissions part of the music program. At the moment he is an active pianist, composer, and teacher. He has had more than 40 books and compositions published by FJH Music Company. His music has been played by many different people.


Architecture of Elmhurst College

ec1.JPGElmhurst College. Elmhurst college is a wonderful place. If you go there one day you will see young happy adults. The college has always been historical. It was built in 1871. It has 38 acres of land. The college was built in separate parts. There are different buildings and, different spaces. Did you know that there tennis court is about two to three blocks away from the college it’s self. Not everything in the college is together and it has unique buildings and unique architecture.
The sixth H. Richard Niebuhr (1924 to 1924) chose the presidency at Elmhurst college over the chance to teach at Yale. He was probably the true founder of the school and did many great things like employing the first women teacher and establishing the school in the art of music.

The seventh was Timothy Lehmann (1928 to 1948). He led the school through the Depression. He also was there when the first women enrolled in 1930. He was also there during some racist troubles with the Japanese in 1943 and also when other religions started to come to the school.

The eighth president was Henry W. Dinkmeyer (1948 to 1957). This man was a “practical Christian”. At the school he was known as “The Builder” due to the large amount of money he got for the growing college from private gifts and a $300,000 grant. Sadly, he died of a fatal heart attack in 1957.

The ninth was Robert Christian Stanger (1957 to 1965). His job was to help the college become apart of “…enter the American Mainstream.” His time at the college was taken up with raising funds and expanding the campus.

The tenth was Donald C. Kleckner (1965 to 1971), who was a doctorate from University of Michigan. He was also the first president to not be a minister at the college. He developed the academics and the facilities with the Honors Program and began a new library (1970).

The eleventh was Ivan E. Frick, who helped the school with its financial troubles because the costs of everything were rising faster than the school’s income. In the end of his career he had all the school’s money at $35 million. Many buildings were opened like the Buehler Library and the new physical education center during his term.

The twelfth and current president is Bryant L. Cureton, who began as president in 1994. He was the first new president in a generation for Elmhurst College. He came from the school Hartwick College in NY. During his career at Elmhurst College more freshmen have been enrolled, the graduation has rose by 30%, and all the grade-point averages have increased. Finally, the expanding buildings for the academic, athletic, and social areas of the college were finished.




ec2.JPGSince the college was built in different sections or buildings I will explain a few of them at a time. In 61 a new renovation was added to The Frick Center. The Frick Center is where students had lounges, dining places, a game room, the mailroom, meeting rooms and a radio station for the students. The Goebel Hall was built in 1928. It was built as the college’s gym but they changed it in to a place where you take care of financial aid, registration and records. In the Goebel Hall there is also the campus book store. In 1989 they renovated it and made it larger for more things to take place in it.ec3.JPG

ec4.JPGThe Hammer Schmidt Memorial Chapel was built in 1959 and it was renovated in 1993. The chapel had a large auditorium for worshiping or an assembly. It has classrooms in it to. The auditorium seats about 1,000 people so they can see events and performances of all kinds and types. The Irion Hall was built in 1911 and it was named after the fourth president of the college. The building was renovated and redone in 1978. They needed better facilities for the speech, language and hearing clinic. This building was mad for different things like concerts, recitals, and possibly maybe even lecturesec5.JPG

ec6.JPGThe Memorial Hall. Some people say that this is the most important or memorable hall in the college. This hall was built for all of the people that were in World War One. The building was built in 1921 to honor 900 men of the Evangelical Synod who lost there lives in World War One. Old Main. The Old Main was built in 1878 and was revonited in 1978 and once more in 1994. In the Old Main there are classrooms, and art and religion offices. There is also a studio for art. (Modern art.) The Old Main is also on a list for the National Register of Historic Places. Can you believe it? A place in Elmhurst historical?ec7.JPGWebsite:

ec8.JPGR. A. Faganel Hall, Physical Education. It opened in 1983 and was named its name in 2000. It has basketball/volleyball courts, handball/racquetball courts, a wrestling room, multipurpose room, and training room, locker rooms, Hall of Fame, and trophy cases. This room has many many things in it. (Isn’t it wired we play handball in our school and they play it in college?) Arthur J. Schaible Science Center was built in 1966 and renovated; the Scaible Science Center has the departments of biology, chemistry, history, physics, political science, psychology, sociology, and urban studies. It also has a 115 seating place and they use it to see things or sometimes even maybe if the kids are bad they could give them lectures.ec9.JPG====== Elmhurst college is a wonderful place. It has many buildings and is a place where students can learn a lot. Students from this college are glad that they were a part of it and loved to be there. Elmhurst college has a lot of buildings each one is unique and different. I hope that I can go see the college one day.===

====== ===== ==


The wonderfully rich history of Elmhurst college began when thirty Acres of land was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Barbour Bryan to get the Evangelical Synod started. The Evangelical would later on reform to be a evolved college with diversity and a large enrollment that goes by the name of Elmhurst College.

Elmhurst: Scenes from Yesterday

The establishment of the Evangelical Proseminary(which happened to be German at first) was rather weak. It was only Rev. Carl Frederick, and a grand total of fourteen students that arrived in Elmhurst in 1871.
Their main goal was “to maintain a culture in the wilderness, to provide an educated leadership for the developing communities, and to teach the liberal arts within the context of the Christian faith.”
On January 4, 1872, Kranz (an inspector) teaches the very first class at Proseminary. The first class was taught on January 4, 1872. It was in German, and German remained as the school’s principle language through a good part of the 1920’s.


The next leader of the Proseminary was Daniel Irion. He lead during the class of 1874
In 1901, the name Elmhurst College will eventually be seen in the school catalog, but that will not become its official name till later on.
Students form the Athletics Association, during its first year the soccer team wins a state intercollegiate championship in 1901 as well.
In 1907, two brothers enroll that eventually will change the College’s History forever. Their names are Reinhold and Richard Niebuhr. Richard happened to employ the first woman teacher, began the art of music at the Proseminary, as well as launched many other courses.


The first step is taken to make Elmhurst College a standard A.B. college in 1917. This came after The General Conference decided to strive for the goal, and make the first step towards upgrades.
In 1917, the school’s catalog is also printed English.
Finally, as the school experiences change and upgrades, it’s name is officially changed from the Evangelical Proseminary to Elmhurst Academy and Junior College in 1919. Along with this change, a new head of College comes along, and his name is Herman Shick.

The wonderful school continues to change through the 1920’s. The first student newspaper, Elm Bark, rolls off presses . Elmhurst also has a pageant, a reunion, and a building campaign to celebrate its golden jubilee. A new dormitory and library were even added! In 1923, Elmhurst college has its very first Homecoming, and “Alma Mater” debuts as well.
In 1924, a huge sacrifice on Richard Niebuhr’s part is made for the school. Richard gave up a teaching position at Yale to become the president of Elmhurst College.


A master campus plan is created by the architect Benjamin Olson in 1926, and for the first time the college runs a deficit and Niebuhr launches fund raising.
The school experiences a major change when Timothy Lehmann becomes the seventh leader of the college in 1928, and in two years time, women are finally able to attend the school, with the female enrollment being 46.

Elmhurst is finally given credit as a four-year college in 1934. Students march in the streets dancing with victory signs.
Four Japanese heritage students enroll at the college. They are war refugees from California, and are the first to enroll with an Asian background. Because of this, controversies spurt up everywhere off campus.
A great achievement for the school occurs between 1945 and 1947. With the help of G.I. Bill, the enrollment nearly doubles! The first African Americans enroll during this time, and 38% of new students being war veterans.

In 1948, calling himself a “practical Christian”, the eighth president was Henry Dinkmeyer. In the same year, well known Reinhold Niebuhr appears on Time magazine.
The school accommodates adult students by offering an evening session in 1949.
A new president arrives in 1957, by the name of Robert Christian stranger.
In 1965, the 10th president, Donald Kleckner worked to develop the academic program and facilities.
The annual Niebuhr lecture that took place in 1966 was extremely special. It featured the speakers Martin Luther King Jr., Paul Ehrlich, Edward Kennedy, Muhammad Ali, and Ashley Montagu.


After some of the famous people during the lecture in 1966, Gwendolyn Brooks, a poet who won the Pulitzer prize for her poetry, began to teach creative writing at the College in 1967.
In 1971, they celebrated the centennial. Ivan E. Frick becomes the eleventh president at this time; and he moves to promote growth while saving as much money as possible. He will make major campus improvements during his term.
The center for Business as well as economics is established in 1975, and the academic program shows signs of significant growth.

In 1979, 200 students enroll in the management program. The management program is for working
In 1985, for the first time in three years, the woman’s volleyball team wins its second NCAA championship.
The Dept. of Computer Science and Information systems is added in 1988.
Bryant Cureton becomes Elmhurst’s 12th president in 1994. The College also launches the academic partnership program, allowing professionals to complete their degrees in their workplaces.
To provide professional and intellectual challenges to students, the center for Professional Excellence is added in 1997. International study, diversity education, and career exploration are just a few of the programs.

In 1998, Elmhurst College launches its first graduate programs.
The following year, the College dedicates a new residence hall, the North Hall in.
A new Athletic Field is added in 2002, and a new mall in 2003.The Elmhurst MBA, its seventh graduate program, is also introduced at this time.
A reason for celebration occurs the following year. The Largest Fund raising campaign occurs in 2004. The fund raising brought in a total of $42.3 million.


Today, Elmhurst College is 22 academic, recreational, and residential buildings all on a magnificent and beautiful campus. A campus full of history.