||
“Built in 1924, the York Theatre in Elmhurst City Centre is Classic Cinema's second oldest theatre. Designed by Elmer Behrns, it opened on Labor Day, featuring a $20,000 Barthold pipe organ. The York kept up with the times and in April 1938 was changed to an Art Deco style both inside and out. One major change to the exterior began in June 1938 when the original Spanish-style marquee was taken down and a new Art Deco stainless steel and porcelain high-rise marquee was installed. The exterior was designed by Roy Blasé, one the foremost theatrical architects in the country. The new marquee created a tower effect and included a canopy, containing 1,000 light bulbs. There was also nearly 1,000 feet of neon lighting on the canopy to illuminate the sidewalk in front of the theatre.
||
Website: http://www.classiccinemas.com/history/york.asp, http://cinematreasures.org/theater/68/, http://elmhurst.edu/about/hangouts/hotSpots.swf.
||

||
Classic Cinemas acquired the York in 1982, and in 1991 an extensive renovation was done. Originally, Classic Cinemas intended to turn the large single screen theatre into two auditoriums. Instead it created three auditoriums and saved many of the historic elements of the main auditorium, including the proscenium arch and stage as well as the Spanish-style organ grills. The interior of the theatre was returned to its original Spanish décor. The light fixtures, which had graced the walls of the original theatre were cleaned, re-polished, and now hang in the lobby and two of the smaller auditoriums. An archeological dig was made by some of Classic Cinemas’ workers to uncover the original orchestra pit. It now holds a two-manual seven-rank Barton pipe organ that was originally installed in the Rialto Theatre in Champaign, IL in 1925.
||

||

||
Over the years, the beautiful marquee, long identified with the York, had deteriorated. Classic Cinemas re-polished all the stainless steel, replaced porcelain panels and installed new neon. Now its flashing lights are as inviting to moviegoers as they were over 60 years ago. In 1993 the Classic Cinemas purchased the building next door where Keeler Candy had been and two more auditoriums were added. The sound systems were all upgraded in 1997 to HPS-4000 digital surround sound. In May, 2003, the theatre kicked off an expansion project which included adding screens and renovating areas of the existing theatre. The addition included two new auditoriums with stadium seating, which brought the total number of auditoriums to seven. The project also included adding stadium seating to the existing largest auditorium, a redesigned lobby with an expanded refreshment stand and ticketing stations, two new party rooms and additional restrooms.”
||
“Built in 1924, the York Theatre in Elmhurst City Centre is Classic Cinema's second oldest theatre. Designed by Elmer Behrns, it opened on Labor Day, featuring a $20,000 Barthold pipe organ. The York kept up with the times and in April 1938 was changed to an Art Deco style both inside and out. One major change to the exterior began in June 1938 when the original Spanish-style marquee was taken down and a new Art Deco stainless steel and porcelain high-rise marquee was installed. The exterior was designed by Roy Blasé, one the foremost theatrical architects in the country. The new marquee created a tower effect and included a canopy, containing 1,000 light bulbs. There was also nearly 1,000 feet of neon lighting on the canopy to illuminate the sidewalk in front of the theatre.
||
Website: http://www.classiccinemas.com/history/york.asp, http://cinematreasures.org/theater/68/, http://elmhurst.edu/about/hangouts/hotSpots.swf.
||

||
Classic Cinemas acquired the York in 1982, and in 1991 an extensive renovation was done. Originally, Classic Cinemas intended to turn the large single screen theatre into two auditoriums. Instead it created three auditoriums and saved many of the historic elements of the main auditorium, including the proscenium arch and stage as well as the Spanish-style organ grills. The interior of the theatre was returned to its original Spanish décor. The light fixtures, which had graced the walls of the original theatre were cleaned, re-polished, and now hang in the lobby and two of the smaller auditoriums. An archeological dig was made by some of Classic Cinemas’ workers to uncover the original orchestra pit. It now holds a two-manual seven-rank Barton pipe organ that was originally installed in the Rialto Theatre in Champaign, IL in 1925.
||

||

||
Over the years, the beautiful marquee, long identified with the York, had deteriorated. Classic Cinemas re-polished all the stainless steel, replaced porcelain panels and installed new neon. Now its flashing lights are as inviting to moviegoers as they were over 60 years ago. In 1993 the Classic Cinemas purchased the building next door where Keeler Candy had been and two more auditoriums were added. The sound systems were all upgraded in 1997 to HPS-4000 digital surround sound. In May, 2003, the theatre kicked off an expansion project which included adding screens and renovating areas of the existing theatre. The addition included two new auditoriums with stadium seating, which brought the total number of auditoriums to seven. The project also included adding stadium seating to the existing largest auditorium, a redesigned lobby with an expanded refreshment stand and ticketing stations, two new party rooms and additional restrooms.”
||